B2: Advanced Financial Modelling & Valuations (3 days)
Master company valuation and corporate finance principles and concepts together with real-world practical application.
|Register your interest and we’ll let you know about future courses|
|Run this course in-house at your company|
What you get from this course
- To provide experienced modellers with a deeper understanding of financial modelling methodologies, techniques and approaches.
- To broaden the range of tools and techniques experienced modellers can apply to their models to enhance reliability, usability and robustness.
- To provide participants with a structured approach to modelling that not only generates models that are reliable, robust, controlled, extendable and easy to use, but also speeds-up model development.
Although not mandatory, attendees will get a lot more out this course if they complete some online training in Excel functions before attending.
We have partnered with Excel University to provide high-quality, low-cost online training and recommend their Volume 2 Course as good preparation for this course. If attendees are a little less familiar with Excel, Volume 1 would also very useful.
The course is designed for participants who have already had some experience in financial modelling and are now seeking to further develop their skills and take their modelling to the next level by learning a range of new tools and techniques.
Being an advanced course, the program focuses on sophisticated techniques that save time when building models, increase reliability and improve usability of the models developed.
Topics include areas such as:
- Scenario and sensitivity analysis (including probability-weighted sensitivities)
- Capital budgeting (S-curve allocation of expenditure, depreciation modelling etc)
- Debt modelling
- Monte Carlo simulations
- Introduction to VBA Macros
- Model automation
The unique combination of both Excel techniques and the application of finance principles allows participants to expand their Excel expertise, their skill in applying its functions to solve common modelling issues, and their knowledge of project evaluation/company valuation issues and techniques.
Benefits from attending this course:
- Learn new ways to improve efficiencies in your financial modelling processes by gaining valuable skills
- Discover a range of sophisticated techniques that will improve the usability and reliability of your financial models
- Learn how to integrate & align your financial models with business strategy
- Learn how to properly incorporate imprecise data and allow for uncertainties in model assumptions and variables
- See how to properly utilise spreadsheet modelling best practices into action to create better financial models
- Learn about alternate financial modelling approaches, when to use these and how to make the best decision
- Gain the confidence that comes from knowing that your financial models are robust, accurate, and reliable
Key Take Aways:
Full course notes, plus a CD full of practical templates, exercises & solutions, reference guides, add-ins and other useful tools that can be used to efficiently build effective and robust financial models.
Day 1: Building Blocks
Financial Modelling in Excel
- How to use advanced Excel functions that will allow faster model development and provide greater reliability.
- Techniques to create and use advanced dynamic range names, including formulas and naming conventions
- Sophisticated methods of data analysis and visualisation that present information easily or highlight anomalies and areas of interest
- How to create, manage, and present multiple scenarios and perform sensitivity analysis
- Techniques for working with time series in models that allow automated date generation and summarisation at any level
- Best practice guidelines and spreadsheet modelling standards: learn how to create models like the professionals do!
- Advanced techniques for sophisticated model optimisation
- How to apply the new features of Excel 2007 to increase advanced financial modelling productivity
Financial Modelling Overview
- The 7 key factors affecting value
- Calculating the cost of equity, debt and WACC
- The 7 steps involved in building financial models
- 3 different approaches to terminal value
- The 9 essential steps in calculating discounted cash flows
- NPV vs IRR vs RRR … in plain English!
Day 2: Advanced Modelling Techniques
- Using probability-weighted sensitivity analysis as a proxy for stochastic simulation
- Multiple methods for automated S-Curve allocation of capital budget expenditures
- Managing multiple capital budget projects
- Earned Value project management & reporting
- Easy ways to perform depreciation modelling
- Debt modelling: senior debt, mezzanine finance, and hybrid instruments
Day 3: Advanced Modelling Applications
- Techniques for working with linked workbooks to ensure robust and reliable linking
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Multi-variable Monte Carlo Simulations and stochastic modelling
- Introduction to VBA Macros: useful functions and macros, and how to apply these to models
- Model automation using controls to enhance usability
- Clever ways to produce and manage financial model documentation to provide models that are easily understood and reviewed.
- Model auditing/review and control including demonstration of financial model auditing software
Who should attend?
- Business & Finance Analysts
- Finance Managers
- Investment Managers
- Investment Analysts
- Financial Modellers
- Investment & Corporate Bankers
- Corporate Finance Managers
- Finance Professionals
- Business Bankers
Masters (Applied Finance), B.Com (Accounting & Information Systems), FAIM, F Fin, MAICD, CISA, MS Excel Expert
Jeff is the Principal and Founding Director of Access Analytic, a specialist consultancy that specialises in financial modelling, forecasting, valuation, model auditing, and management reporting for clients worldwide.
He is known as “The Financial Modelling Guru” because of his extensive experience in financial modelling, forecasting, valuation, model auditing, and management reporting for clients throughout the world.
His achievements have been recognised by his peers and he is a Fellow of both the Financial Services Institute of Australasia and the Australian Institute of Management.
He is skilled in the development and maintenance of analytical tools and financial models for middle-market to large corporate transactions and clients, at all levels of complexity, in both domestic and international settings.
He has worked with companies such as Chevron, BankWest, Petronas, Rio Tinto, Glencore, KPMG, Grant Thornton and Toyota.
Before working with Access Analytic, Jeff spent 6 years working in the Corporate and IT Consulting divisions of a large, multi-national Chartered Accounting firm.
Jeff is the author of a number of white papers on financial modelling on subjects such as Financial Modelling Best Practices and Financial Model Auditing.
Earlier in his career, he spent five years in banking and finance.
Recent Speaking Engagements
The following are a sample of Jeff’s recent speaking engagements:
- Hong Kong: 4 day Financial Modelling workshop for Banking & Finance professionals
- Hong Kong: 3 day Advanced Company Valuation workshop for Banking & Finance professionals
- Kuala Lumpur: 2 day Advanced Budgeting & Forecasting Course
- Hanoi: 4 days of training in Advanced Budgeting & Forecasting for large Oil & Gas Company
- Johannesburg: 2 day Advanced Financial Modelling workshop
- Kuala Lumpur: 4 day workshop on Advanced Financial Modelling for Oil & Gas Companies
- Perth: 5 day workshop on Excel for Financial Modelling, and Financial Modelling Fundamentals for State Government Dept
- Perth: 4 day Advanced Financial Modelling workshop for major Oil & Gas Company
- Kuala Lumpur: 2 day Advanced Financial Modelling workshop
- Perth: 5 day workshop on Petroleum Resource Rent Tax (PRRT) and Advanced Financial Modelling for Oil & Gas Companies
- Perth: 2 day VBA Fundamentals course for Mining Services Company
- Perth: “Business Performance Reporting on a Shoestring” joint presentation with Microsoft at the CPA Congress to over 150 attendees
- Perth: “Power up your reports with Excel 2007” 3-hour presentation at CPA Congress to over 150 attendees
- Singapore: 4 day workshop on Advanced Excel and Advanced Financial Modelling for multinational logistics company
- Tehran, Iran: 3 day Advanced Financial Modelling for Oil & Gas Companies
- Dubai: 3 day workshop on Advanced Financial Modelling and company valuation
- Kish, Iran: 5 day workshop on Advanced Budgeting and Forecasting for Oil & Gas companies
- Johannesburg: 4 day workshop on Advanced Financial Modelling
Feedback from Previous Participants
|Feedback||Initials & Position|
|“Great to learn new formulas and how to apply these to every day spreadsheets.”||J.G., Finance Analyst, Perth Airport|
|“Very good course! Right level of Excel detail and finance proficiency.Excellent examples – plus I can practice them using the answers at my own pace.”||C.B., CFO, Perth Airport|
|“The course was appropriately targeted and level of difficulty well-assessed. Enjoyed the use of live, relevant examples and templates to demonstrate key functions and reference material that can be used at a later date.”||F.T., Senior Financial Analyst, Infrastructure|
Benefits & Inclusions
|Practical: Highly experienced facilitators who actively and regularly consult to clients also.|
|Applicable: apply what you learn to your job to further your career.|
|Hands-on: the course is designed to provide maximum hands-on experience.|
|Passionate: Our facilitators love this subject!|
|Clear: we specialise in translating complex subjects into concepts that are easy to understand.|
|On-going help: you can always e-mail the facilitator.|
|CD: includes worked examples, suggested solutions, reference materials, and a large variety of templates that can be immediately applied to kick-start your projects.|
|Comprehensive course notes.|
|Networking: meet industry peers and hear how they approach this subject.|
|Certificate of completion.|
|… and much more!|
Clients who have 3-4 or more people interested in this course normally prefer to run this course on an in-house basis in their offices.
We can bring all the equipment for up to 8 people so all you need is a room!
- Flexibility: we can combine content from multiple courses to create a custom course just for you, add-on a workshop or some mentoring sessions then run everything at the times that suit you.
- Timing options: if you’re in Perth, we can split courses into half or single days and schedule these at times to suit you
- No hidden extras: our fixed fee includes all materials and equipment costs for up to 10 participants
- Cost effective: often 50-80% less than sending the same number of people to a public course
In-House Details & Pricing
- Structure: half-day or full-day sessions
- Location: all courses are available in-house, many are also available in open sessions
- Provided: projector, laptops, manual, CD
- In-house Fees: contact us today to discuss your requirements
In-house Course Fees
Call us on +61 8 6210 8500 to discuss your requirements.
– We are happy to customise our courses to suit your requirements
– A 10% discount applies when booking 10+ full days of training in any 30 day period
– Many courses can also be split into half-days (please enquire)