D6: Power BI Essentials (2-3 days)
All the key aspects you need to know to begin developing Power BI reports for your business. Auckland Sydney Perth Perth Perth Perth Perth
Price (incl GST)
24 Sep - 26 Sep 2019 05/07/2019 AUD3,499 3 days Book
24 Sep - 26 Sep 2019 28/06/2019 AUD3,499 3 days Book
17 Oct - NA AUD660 1 day Book
24 Oct - NA AUD660 1 day Book
19 Nov - 20 Nov 2019 21/10/2019 AUD1,699 2 days Book
19 Nov - 21 Nov 2019 21/10/2019 AUD2,299 3 days Book
21 Nov - NA AUD660 1 day Book
Create stunning interactive reports and share amazing insights! Power BI gives Excel users the power to extract data from multiple sources, link it together, perform calculations and create powerful visualisations.
What is Power BI – Take a look here?
Power BI is an AMAZING cloud-based business analytics service provided by Microsoft that allows users to transform data into rich, interactive visual reports that present a 360-degree business view and improve business decision making.
Power BI Desktop is a development platform from Microsoft that allows users to connect to a huge range of data sources, clean and transform messy data, create relationships between data sets, perform calculations and prepare stunning interactive reports.
Power BI.com allows users to publish their interactive reports and share certain features of those reports with others. Reports published to PowerBI.com can be set to refresh automatically and can be interacted with online using any browser or mobile device.
See what attendees are saying about the course
Key Advantages of Power BI
- Easily connect to multiple data sources, including Excel files, SQL Databases, Google Analytics, SharePoint, CSVs, ODBC and many more
- Quickly prepare raw data for analysis by recording data transformations
- Simply drag and drop to easily create relationships between different data sources. NO VLOOKUP REQUIRED!
- Create custom report calculations for measuring profitability, margins, KPIs and any other desired areas using the powerful DAX formula language
- Easily prepare interactive data visualisations colour-coordinated with corporate colours using built-in or custom templates
- Quickly publish reports to Power BI.com for users to interact with using any browser, mobile phone or tablet
- Customize user data views with
This is an intermediate course and users should already be comfortable with Excel Pivot Tables or Database development to get the most from this course.
Introduction to the Power BI Environment
• Key components and how each works
• Report functionality and how to use this to get the data you want
• Build your first report in just a few minutes
Preparing Dashboard Data
Most of the work in a Power BI project is in preparing and structuring your datasets so that they are ready for use in Power BI visuals.
• How to import data into Power BI Desktop from a wide variety of data sources
• How to join different data sets together, even if they come from different files, databases or other sources
• How to clean and transform your data so it’s ready for use with Power BI
• Delving into “Get Data” and an introduction to understanding “M” code (Power Query language)
• How to turn short, wide data tables into long, tall tables and why this is so useful for Power BI
• Joining multiple data tables together and understanding relationships
• How to create efficient data models: merging, appending and structuring your datasets to create the optimal structure
• Learn how to apply your Power Query skills to Excel and when to choose one over the other
• Different techniques for creating and utilising a Calendar table that you can use to slice and summarise your reports
• Create queries that automatically report errors and missing codes
• Learn how to automatically combine all the Excel, CSV or Text files in a folder into one table and see how you could apply this
• Learn the principles of filter context, how critical this is for DAX formulas, and how to modify this in calculations to produce the results you need
• Learn how DAX formulas work and how they’re different from Excel (even though they look similar!)
• When to use a calculated column in a table and when to write a measure
• Key DAX concepts and formulas include grouping and naming measures, aggregation functions, counts, time-related calculations, conditional tests, preventing errors, dealing with multiple date fields in one table and building measures that are based on other measures.
Creating Interactive Visualizations
• Creating interactive visualisations
• Adding/changing information presented in a visualisation
• Incorporating custom visuals
• Adding custom colour schemes to a dashboard
• Create pre-filtered reports and charts that allow your users to drill down to see more detail
• Learn how to create chart tooltips that automatically pop-up when a user hovers over the charts
• See how to setup your reports and dashboards for use on mobile phones and other devices
Using POWERBI.com to add value to your Reports
• How to create and share dashboards
• Learn a variety of different ways to share your Power BI reports, and when to apply each one
• How to create new visualisations just by typing a sentence
• How to create an Excel pivot table from a report that’s been published to PowerBI.com
• How to create alerts that automatically send e-mails if an indicator goes over or under a specified value
• Learn how to set up a gateway that will refresh data that is sourced from inside your organisation
• Scheduling data refreshes so that your reports are always up-to-date
• Setting up security so that different users automatically see different views of the same report when they login
Apply your Skills to a Real-life Situation
We finish the second day with an extended exercise where you apply the skills you’ve learned to a real-life series of datasets. In this exercise, you’ll create a data model, build your calculated fields and measures, then produce reports and visuals … all without any step-by-step instructions. It’s designed to be as close to real-life as possible and provides a great test for your new skills.
Day 3 [optional]: Your Power BI Project
This day is optional but it’s when most participants get the maximum benefit from this course so we highly recommend taking the extra day!
Bring your own project along and work on this while receiving any help and coaching you need to solve your reporting challenges.
You’ll not only get to practice applying what you’ve just learned, but you’ll also walk away with something practical that you can start using in your office tomorrow.
In addition, you can always come back at any time in future and attend more of these workshop days if you’d like to.
This course provides 7.5 contact hours per day towards continuing education requirements.
Comprehensive course notes, exercises and completed solutions are included.
Who should attend?
- Excel users & analysts that focus on extracting, re-organizing and analyzing data
- Anyone involved in creating visualizations & data modelling
- Anyone interested in saving huge amounts of time in automating the work involved in creating recurring reports and dashboards
Date(s) Event/Location Last Earlybird Price (incl GST) Length Book/Info 24 Sep - 26 Sep 2019
05/07/2019 AUD3,499 3 days Book 24 Sep - 26 Sep 2019
28/06/2019 AUD3,499 3 days Book 19 Nov - 20 Nov 2019
21/10/2019 AUD1,699 2 days Book 19 Nov - 21 Nov 2019
21/10/2019 AUD2,299 3 days Book
|D3||Power Query and Power Pivot for Excel (2 days)
This Power BI course is focused on real-world techniques and goes in-depth into how to get the most from these amazing utilities: Power Query, Power Pivot, Power BI Desktop
|D4||Power Query (Get & Transform) for Excel and Power BI Desktop (1 day)
Power Query is the best thing to happen to Excel in the last 10 years. It gives Excel users the power to draw information out of multiple sources, cleanse and transform that data and load it into Excel, Power Pivot or Power BI Desktop.& It will save you hours of manual data manipulation.
|D7||Advanced Power BI (2-3 days)
Take your Power BI, DAX and Power Query skills to the next level, handling more complex data and reporting scenarios. Power BI is taking the world by storm, providing amazing functionality that transforms how you connect to your data and create useful information for the decision makers in your business.
|D8||Power BI Coaching Day (1 day)
Remove roadblocks, improve efficiencies, get fresh ideas with a one-day one-on-one coaching session!
Facilitator: Wyn HopkinsExcel MVP, B.Sc. (Hons) Accounting & Financial Management | LinkedIn |
Wyn is a Director with Access Analytic, an Australian consulting company that develops AMAZING Power BI and Excel solutions that enable organisations to grow faster, reduce costs and control risk.
Wyn qualified as a Chartered Accountant with PricewaterhouseCoopers in the UK in 2000, before working as an analyst for the FTSE 100 companies HBOS and Barclays.
Microsoft awarded him the status of Most Valuable Professional for Excel in 2017 and 2018. This recognises his expertise and willingness to share his knowledge via blogs, articles and community events.
Wyn is an experienced Trainer and Excel / Power BI Developer.
Since joining Access Analytic in 2007, he has delivered hundreds of amazing solutions for clients including many for Chevron and other leading organisations in Perth.
Facilitator: Jeff RobsonMasters (Applied Finance), B.Com (Accounting & Information Systems), FAIM, F Fin, MAICD, CISA, Excel Expert| LinkedIn |
Jeff is the founding Director and Principal Business Analyst at Access Analytic Solutions. He has over 20 years’ experience in chartered accounting, business management and consulting.
Jeff holds a Masters in Applied Finance and is a Certified Information Systems Auditor. He is highly regarded and recognised around the world as an expert in the field of financial modelling and Power BI reporting.
His achievements have been recognised by his peers and he is a Fellow of both the Financial Services Institute of Australasia and the Australian Institute of Management.
Jeff has extensive experience in best practice management reporting, data analytics, business analysis, and financial modelling and is also an entertaining international presenter and trainer on these subjects.
Jeff is the author of a number of white papers on financial modelling on subjects such as Financial Modelling Best Practices and Financial Model Auditing.
He provides training for companies throughout Australia, New Zealand, Asia, South Pacific, the Middle East, and Africa.
Facilitator: Yury TokarevChartered Accountant, PhD | LinkedIn |
Yury is a Manager of Business Analysis & is an International Training Specialist at Access Analytic, an Australian consulting company that develops AMAZING Power BI and Excel solutions that enable organisations to grow faster, reduce costs and control risk.
Yury has over 15 years’ experience in the development and maintenance of analytical tools and financial models for middle-market companies and large corporates, at all levels of complexity, in both domestic and international settings.
Benefits & Inclusions
|Practical: Highly experienced facilitators who actively and regularly consult to clients also.|
|Applicable: apply what you learn to your job to further your career.|
|Hands-on: the course is designed to provide maximum hands-on experience.|
|Passionate: Our facilitators love this subject!|
|Clear: we specialise in translating complex subjects into concepts that are easy to understand.|
|On-going help: you can always e-mail the facilitator to get help at any time in future.|
|Files: we provide you with worked examples, suggested solutions, and a variety of reference materials that can be immediately applied to your projects|
|Comprehensive course notes.|
|Networking: meet industry peers and hear how they approach this subject.|
|Certificate of completion, showing 7.5 hrs of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) per day.|
|… and much more!|
Companies today are demanding increasing value and greater returns from their training budget.
The best way to achieve this is to run in-house courses where we come to your office and provide a customised course for your staff.
- More Relevant: we can customise our courses to suit your training needs and may even be able to incorporate some of your own data or models into the training to make it more relevant and useful for the participants
- More Flexible: schedule the training when it suits you best. You can even schedule the training days across multiple weeks to reduce the impact on workloads & schedules.
- More Convenient: we come to your office so there’s no travel time or cost for your staff. We are happy to travel to remote office locations, interstate or overseas.
- More Affordable: in-house courses are up to 80% cheaper than sending the same number of people on a public course. This lets you train more people for less!
- No hidden extras: we provide a fixed fee up-front that includes all costs
- Small or Large: in-house training is cost-effective for groups as small as 4 people. You can even organise your own group if you wish by combining with other companies/colleagues!
Call us on +61 8 6210 8500 to discuss your requirements or enquire online.
– A 10% discount applies when booking 10+ full days of training in any 30 day period