D3: Power BI for Excel (2-3 days)
Power BI (including Power Query & Power Pivot) are the biggest Excel news items in the last 10 years. They give Excel users the power to draw information out of multiple sources, link it together then perform calculations on it that can then be sliced & diced any way you want.
This hands-on course is focused on real-world techniques utilising the amazing capabilities of Power Query, Power Pivot and Power BI.
The course covers the core elements needed to get an understanding of what Power BI, Power Pivot and Power Query can do. You will use Power Query to extract and shape data and then load it into Power Pivot. You will build a complex Power Pivot Model from scratch, write DAX formulas and set up interactive reports.
The second day delves deeper into all of the topic areas demonstrating how to get the most from these amazing tools. You will learn extra advanced Power BI features and get a more in-depth understanding of Power Query and Power Pivot reporting techniques
The third day is when you really sink your teeth in. Instead of using simplified training examples, you bring your own data and build some analysis models for this, with guidance and assistance from our expert facilitator. This gives you something that’s immediately applicable, which you can impress your colleagues/boss with and use in your work tomorrow!
|7 Sep - 8 Sep 2017|| |
|11 Sep - 12 Sep 2017|| |
|14 Sep - 15 Sep 2017|| |
|18 Sep - 19 Sep 2017|| |
|21 Sep - 22 Sep 2017|| |
|22 Nov - 24 Nov 2017|| |
|27 Nov - 29 Nov 2017|| |
What you get from this course
- Understand how Power BI builds on the functionality of Excel’s native tools, such as PivotTables, slicers and key analytical functions
- Be able to import data from a variety of electronic sources and relate them quickly to deliver key information in minutes not weeks
- Utilise best practice database design, realising the power of the Data Model by using LOOKUP lists and efficient database design
- Provides an introduction to Power BI’s Data Analysis Expressions (DAX) language
This is an intermediate course and users should already be comfortable with Excel to get the most from this course.
Participants should be familiar with functions & concepts such as VLOOKUP and SUMIFS.
The focus of the course on Power BI in Excel 2013/2016 and is also applicable to Power BI Desktop.
Power BI & PowerPivot Introduction
• Creating your first Power Pivot Model
• Mapping tables
• Joining multiple tables together and understanding relationships
• Creating a Calendar Table*
• Utilising a Calendar Table
• Advanced PivotTable Design*
• Pivot Charts*
In-depth Power BI & Power Pivot Models
• Creating more complex Power Pivot models
• Calculated Columns
• Introducing DAX formulas and Measures (Calculated Fields)
• Filters and Slicers
• Improve the user experience through Hiding and Hierarchies
• Pitfalls to avoid
• How to build in checks to detect new data or imbalances
• Creating useful time-based measures with more advanced DAX formulas
• CALCULATE explained*
• CUBE formula*
• Exploring the User Interface
• PowerQuery techniques
• How to “un-pivot” data
• How to merge multiple queries into one table
In-Depth Power Query
• Using variables for query parameters*
• Introduction to the Advanced Editor and M language*
• Creating re-usable custom functions*
• Calendar Creator
Power BI Desktop & POWERBI.com
• Power BI Desktop
• A comparison with Power Pivot and Power Query
• An overview of the graphical interface
• Custom Visualizations
• Publishing and Sharing your Dashboards
Power BI Project
Bring your own data and apply your skills to work on your own, real-life Power BI project, with the guidance and coaching of our expert facilitator.
You’ll not only practise your newly learned Power BI skills, you’ll also walk away with data models you can apply to your own data in the office tomorrow.
* orange text = areas only covered in the 2-day version of this course
* green text = only included in the 3-day version of this course
Who should attend?
- Excel users & analysts that focus on extracting, re-organizing and analysing data
- Excel users & analysts involved in creating visualisations & data modelling
- Anyone interested in saving huge amounts of time in automating the work involved in creating recurring reports and dashboards
|D4||Power Query (Get & Transform) for Excel and Power BI Desktop (1 day)
Power Query is the best thing to happen to Excel in the last 10 years. It gives Excel users the power to draw information out of multiple sources, cleanse and transform that data and load it into Excel, Power Pivot or Power BI Desktop.& It will save you hours of manual data manipulation.
|D6||Power BI Dashboard and Data Analysis (2-3 days)
Create stunning interactive reports and share amazing insights.
Facilitator: Wyn Hopkins
Microsoft Excel MVP, Chartered Accountant (ACA) | LinkedIn |
Wyn is a Director with Access Analytic, an Australian consulting company that develops AMAZING Power BI and Excel solutions that enable organisations to grow faster, reduce costs and control risk.
Wyn was awarded Microsoft Excel Most Valued Professional status in 2017, an award only held by a handful of
Australians. Wyn gained his Chartered Accountant qualification at PricewaterhouseCoopers in the UK in 2000.
He has extensive international Business Analyst experience, having worked with a variety of the UK’s FTSE 100 financial services companies including Halifax Bank of Scotland (HBOS) and Barclays Bank.
Wyn is a highly skilled developer and trainer completing many successful projects in the areas of:
- Power BI
- spreadsheet re-engineering
- management reporting
- budgeting and forecasting
- financial modelling
Benefits & Inclusions
|Practical: Highly experienced facilitators who actively and regularly consult to clients also.|
|Applicable: apply what you learn to your job to further your career.|
|Hands-on: the course is designed to provide maximum hands-on experience.|
|Passionate: Our facilitators love this subject!|
|Clear: we specialise in translating complex subjects into concepts that are easy to understand.|
|On-going help: you can always e-mail the facilitator.|
|USB: includes worked examples, suggested solutions, reference materials, and a large variety of templates that can be immediately applied to kick-start your projects.|
|Comprehensive course notes.|
|Networking: meet industry peers and hear how they approach this subject.|
|Certificate of completion, showing 7.5 hrs of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) per day.|
|… and much more!|
Companies today are demanding increasing value and greater returns from their training budget.
The best way to achieve this is to run in-house courses where we come to your office and provide a customised course for your staff.
- More Relevant: we can customise our courses to suit your training needs and may even be able to incorporate some of your own data or models into the training to make it more relevant and useful for the participants
- More Flexible: schedule the training when it suits you best. You can even schedule the training days across multiple weeks to reduce the impact on workloads & schedules.
- More Convenient: we come to your office so there’s no travel time or cost for your staff. We are happy to travel to remote office locations, interstate or overseas.
- More Affordable: in-house courses are up to 80% cheaper than sending the same number of people on a public course. This lets you train more people for less!
- No hidden extras: we provide a fixed fee up-front that includes all costs
- Small or Large: in-house training is cost-effective for groups as small as 4 people. You can even organise your own group if you wish by combining with other companies/colleagues!
Call us on +61 8 6210 8500 to discuss your requirements or enquire online.
– A 10% discount applies when booking 10+ full days of training in any 30 day period