D4: Power Query (Get & Transform) for Excel and Power BI Desktop (1 day)
Power BI (including Power Query & Power Pivot) are the biggest Excel news items in the last 10 years. They give Excel users the power to draw information out of multiple sources, link it together then perform calculations on it that can then be sliced & diced any way you want.
This hands-on course is focused on real-world techniques utilising the amazing capabilities of Power Query.
This 1-day course covers the core elements needed to get an understanding of what Power Query can do. You will use Power Query to extract and shape data from a variety of sources and data layouts. You will learn to consolidate 50 csv files instantly, “un-pivot” data and replace VLOOKUPS with merged queries.
This focused course delves deeper into Power Query and how to get the most from this amazing tool. You will learn how to amend the “M”code generated by the Power Query interface, create re-usable custom functions and set up dynamic parameters for your queries.
What you get from this course
- Understand how Power Query can save hours of manual effort in extracting and manipulating data
- Learn how to consolidate and merge data sets from multiple sources
- Understand best practice design to ensure robust and clear processes are adopted
- Provides an introduction to Power Query’s “M” language
This is an intermediate course and users should already be comfortable with Excel formulas to get the most from this course.
Participants should be familiar with functions & concepts such as VLOOKUP and SUMIFS.
The focus is on Excel 2016 and Power BI Desktop but the knowledge gained can be easily applied to Excel 2010 or Excel 2013
Power Query Introduction
- Creating your first Query
- Understanding the Power Query Interface
- Splitting data columns
- Replacing values
- Cleaning out leading spaces
- Joining text together
- Removing unwanted rows and columns
- Understanding Data Types
In-depth Power Query
- Transforming more complex data sets
- Adding calculated columns
- Consolidate 50 CSV files instantly
- How to “un-pivot” data
- How to join multiple sources into one table
- How to replace VLOOKUPS with “Merge”
- Organising and documenting queries
Advanced Technique with Power Query and an Introduction to M language
- Creating a mapping check to ensure all your data is mapped correctly
- Using variables for query parameters
- Introduction to the Advanced Editor and M language
- Creating re-usable custom functions
- Setting up a parameter table and a re-usable parameter function
- Calendar Creator
- Techniques for debugging M Code
Who should attend?
- Excel users & analysts that sepnd time extracting, re-organizing and analyzing data
- Anyone interested in saving huge amounts of time in automating the work involved in creating recurring reports and dashboards
|D3||Power BI for Excel (2 days)
This Power BI course is focused on real-world techniques and goes in-depth into how to get the most from these amazing utilities: Power Query, Power Pivot, Power BI Desktop
|D6||Power BI Dashboard and Data Analysis (2-3 days)
Create stunning interactive reports and share amazing insights! Power BI gives Excel users the power to extract data from multiple sources, link it together, perform calculations and create powerful visualisations.
Facilitator: Wyn Hopkins
Microsoft Excel MVP, Chartered Accountant (ACA) | LinkedIn |
Wyn is a Director with Access Analytic, an Australian consulting company that develops AMAZING Power BI and Excel solutions that enable organisations to grow faster, reduce costs and control risk.
Wyn was awarded Microsoft Excel Most Valued Professional status in 2017, an award only held by a handful of
Australians. Wyn gained his Chartered Accountant qualification at PricewaterhouseCoopers in the UK in 2000.
He has extensive international Business Analyst experience, having worked with a variety of the UK’s FTSE 100 financial services companies including Halifax Bank of Scotland (HBOS) and Barclays Bank.
Wyn is a highly skilled developer and trainer completing many successful projects in the areas of:
- Power BI
- spreadsheet re-engineering
- management reporting
- budgeting and forecasting
- financial modelling
Benefits & Inclusions
|Practical: Highly experienced facilitators who actively and regularly consult to clients also.|
|Applicable: apply what you learn to your job to further your career.|
|Hands-on: the course is designed to provide maximum hands-on experience.|
|Passionate: Our facilitators love this subject!|
|Clear: we specialise in translating complex subjects into concepts that are easy to understand.|
|On-going help: you can always e-mail the facilitator.|
|CD/USB: includes worked examples, suggested solutions, reference materials, and a large variety of templates that can be immediately applied to kick-start your projects.|
|Comprehensive course notes.|
|Networking: meet industry peers and hear how they approach this subject.|
|Certificate of completion, showing 7.5 hrs of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) per day.|
|… and much more!|
Companies today are demanding increasing value and greater returns from their training budget.
The best way to achieve this is to run in-house courses where we come to your office and provide a customised course for your staff.
- More Relevant: we can customise our courses to suit your training needs and may even be able to incorporate some of your own data or models into the training to make it more relevant and useful for the participants
- More Flexible: schedule the training when it suits you best. You can even schedule the training days across multiple weeks to reduce the impact on workloads & schedules.
- More Convenient: we come to your office so there’s no travel time or cost for your staff. We are happy to travel to remote office locations, interstate or overseas.
- More Affordable: in-house courses are up to 80% cheaper than sending the same number of people on a public course. This lets you train more people for less!
- No hidden extras: we provide a fixed fee up-front that includes all costs
- Small or Large: in-house training is cost-effective for groups as small as 4 people. You can even organise your own group if you wish by combining with other companies/colleagues!
Call us on +61 8 6210 8500 to discuss your requirements or enquire online.
– A 10% discount applies when booking 10+ full days of training in any 30 day period