B10: Financial Modelling for Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A) (4 days)
Learn the fundamentals of financial modelling then apply this knowledge to the technical aspects of Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A).
|Register your interest and we’ll let you know about future courses|
|Run this course in-house at your company|
Although not mandatory, attendees will get a lot more out this course if they complete some online training in Excel functions before attending.
We have partnered with Excel University to provide high-quality, low-cost online training and recommend their Volume 2 Course as good preparation for this course. If attendees are a little less familiar with Excel, Volume 1 would also very useful.
What you get from this course
- In-depth knowledge of financial modelling and how to apply it to the technical aspects of M&A.
- How to consider the various practical implications associated with investing and divesting in companies for commercial gain or to enhance efficiencies / create synergistic benefits
- A walk-through of every step of the process required for robust, reliable financial modelling in M&A.
M&A Analysis in Full
In this hands-on training course, the case study walks participants through every step of the process, starting with valuing potential targets, understanding fair value adjustments and goodwill computations; and culminating in group financial statement construction, focusing on earnings accretion, dilution and other key ratios.
Participants will learn to:
•Build and analyse the key metrics in M&A analysis, based on cashflows and accounting
•Calculate aggregation models using acquisition and equity accounting
•Understand the role of taxation in an M&A transaction
•Develop flexible and powerful funding, returns and scenario analysis, which can be used in future models.
Day 1: Introduction and Accounting Issues in M&A
Day One introduces the elements that will be covered in detail over the four-day course.
The day outlines the objectives of financial modelling for M&A transactions and the importance of financial modelling, identifies the accounting issues in M&A and why templates don’t work.
- Understanding M&A: strategic fit, market environment, etc.
- Introduction to financial modelling, including brushing up on Excel skills and an overview of key Excel functions
- Why acquisition and equity accounting is important
- Three-way integrated financial modelling case study
- Goodwill, asset revaluations, write-offs, write-downs, and tax accounting
Days 2-4: Financial Modelling, Taxation, Valuation, Risk Assessment and LBOs
This course provides a sound understanding of both the principles of financial modelling and the practical application of these to real-world situations.
Using a case study, course participants will develop a financial model from a blank slate, examine how to make it flexible enough to use historic data, future projections, and estimates of residual value as well as building in error, sensitivity and alert checks, incorporating debt structures and scenarios.
- Understanding M&A: Financial Modelling Construction
- The role of Debt in a Financial Model
- Taxation: Modelling Debt
- Valuations in a merger transaction
- Risk Assessment
- Leveraged buyouts (LBO)
Who should attend?
- Business & Finance Analysts
- Finance Staff & Accountants
- Investment & Corporate Bankers
- Professionals in the Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A) arena
- Strategic Planning Analysts
- Financial Modellers
Facilitator: Liam Bastick
FCA FCMA CGMA MVP
Liam has over 25 years’ experience in Financial Model Development / Auditing, Valuations, Mergers & Acquisitions, Strategy, Training and Consultancy.
Liam was head of Ernst & Young’s modelling team in Melbourne and was an Assistant Director in its strategic valuations team in London. He has worked with various Australian modelling companies including, BPM, Corality, Navigator Project Finance, PKF and SumProduct.
Having worked for internationally recognised clients in UK, Australia, Europe and Asia, Liam has constructed and reviewed strategic, operational and valuation models for high profile IPOs, LBOs and strategic assignments in a multitude of sectors.
He is a regular contributor to the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia (ICAA), Certified Practising Accountants Australia (CPAA), the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), Finance 3.0 and various LinkedIn specialist discussion groups.
For his training work, presentations and Excel expertise, he has been recognised as a Most Valuable Professional (MVP) in Excel by Microsoft for 2012. He is also an experienced facilitator for ICAA.
Liam is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW), a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Management Accountants (CIMA) and is a professional mathematician specialising in probability, simulations and real options based problems.
Benefits & Inclusions
|Practical: Highly experienced facilitators who actively and regularly consult to clients also.|
|Applicable: apply what you learn to your job to further your career.|
|Hands-on: the course is designed to provide maximum hands-on experience.|
|Passionate: Our facilitators love this subject!|
|Clear: we specialise in translating complex subjects into concepts that are easy to understand.|
|On-going help: you can always e-mail the facilitator.|
|CD: includes worked examples, suggested solutions, reference materials, and a large variety of templates that can be immediately applied to kick-start your projects.|
|Comprehensive course notes.|
|Networking: meet industry peers and hear how they approach this subject.|
|Certificate of completion.|
|… and much more!|
Clients who have 3-4 or more people interested in this course normally prefer to run this course on an in-house basis in their offices.
We can bring all the equipment for up to 8 people so all you need is a room!
- Flexibility: we can combine content from multiple courses to create a custom course just for you, add-on a workshop or some mentoring sessions then run everything at the times that suit you.
- Timing options: if you’re in Perth, we can split courses into half or single days and schedule these at times to suit you
- No hidden extras: our fixed fee includes all materials and equipment costs for up to 10 participants
- Cost effective: no extra fees for extra participants (maximum of 8 per session)
In-House Details & Pricing
- Structure: half-day or full-day sessions
- Location: all courses are available in-house, many are also available in open sessions
- Class size: strictly limited to 10 to allow maximum interaction with the facilitator
- Provided: projector, laptops, manual, CD
- In-house Fees: contact us today to discuss your requirements
In-house Course Fees
Call us on +61 8 6210 8500 to discuss your requirements.
– We are happy to customise our courses to suit your requirements
– A 10% discount applies when booking 10+ full days of training in any 30 day period
– Many courses can also be split into half-days (please enquire)
– Fees for locations outside of Perth do not include equipment