Virtual Classroom - Live, instructor-led, interactive trainingWe are still 100% open for business and here to help you and your team get the training you need. While we may have limited physical in-person interactions, we are living in a world with digital capabilities that can still keep us closely connected. All our courses are available as live, instructor-led, interactive training courses with a special 20% discount to celebrate Access Analytic’s 20th anniversary in 2020. Make this time your most productive ever by increasing your skills in reporting and analysis, you can go back to the office with new abilities and better reporting. These are not just a few videos. Instead, we're providing live, instructor-led, interactive courses and our world-class instructors guide you through every step. Our Course Facilitators have over 20 years' experience in delivering training for clients all over the world.
This financial modelling course covers Financial Modelling Fundamentals plus Advanced Excel for Financial Modelling.
As an approved training provider of the Financial Modeling Institute (FMI) our financial modelling course can help you prepare for FMI exams and certification.
Pre-requisitesAlthough not mandatory, attendees will get a lot more out this course if they complete some online training in Excel functions before attending. We have partnered with Excel University to provide high-quality, low-cost online training and recommend their Volume 2 Course as good preparation for this course. If attendees are a little less familiar with Excel, Volume 1 would also very useful.
What you get from this course
- An excellent working knowledge of financial modelling functions in Excel that allow you to efficiently create robust and flexible models.
- A sound understanding of financial modelling and valuation concepts.
- Practical experience in designing solutions to real-world financial modelling challenges by building financial models in Excel.
- A solid foundation for Excel-based financial modelling.
- Excel tools and techniques that are essential for modelling to make your models robust,
user-friendly, and efficient.
Financial Modelling Training in Excel
Here are just some of the areas we cover in our in-depth, hands-on workshop:
- Working with large data sets
- Summarising and aggregating data
- Extracting data that matches criteria using flexible formulas
- Error handling
- Ways of improving structure
- Techniques for keeping formulas consistent yet flexible
- Combining and splitting cells according to the content they contain
- Advanced techniques for creating automatically expanding charts and ranges
- Introduction to macros & when to use these
We then apply and practise these functions during the remainder of the course.
Financial Modelling Training Course
Our financial modelling course provides a sound understanding of both the principles of financial modelling and the practical application of these to real-world situations by using Excel to build financial models.
The course builds upon the financial modelling principles and practices learned, to apply these to company or project valuations. In this, participants improve their mastery of valuation principles and concepts, and learn how to apply these in real-life situations.
Finally, participants will receive training in how to both detect and prevent errors from occurring.
Bring Your Models!
Everyone’s models are different. As such, participants are encouraged to bring along their own financial models to obtain assistance, ideas, guidance and suggestions from the trainer in private.
This is a key step in applying the concepts learned on the course to improve real-life models so please take the opportunity to draw on the trainer’s experience and expertise!
Course Overview, Objectives & Introductory Concepts
- Financial modelling concepts: Aims, design, structure and development
- Corporate finance and valuation concepts
- Introductory Concepts
- Cash vs Profit
- Time Value of Money
- Cost of Capital
- Risk, return & value
- Scenario Analysis
Financial Forecasting & Analysis
- Common difficulties, problems and limitations with financial analysis
- Defining the decision
- Availability of information
- Defining model scope
- Knowing the limitations of financial analysis
- Information overload
- Financial Forecasting
- What is it?
- Steps involved
- Best practices & financial modelling standards
Financial Decision Making & Evaluation
- Common financial / investment decisions
- Understanding the Time Value of Money concept
- Understanding Discounted Cash Flows
- Evaluation of different methodologies (including NPV, IRR, Payback Period)
- Introduction to valuation concepts including NPV
- Identifying & dealing with IRR difficulties
Valuation tools and methodologies
- Reviewing valuation concepts
- Valuation methodologies (including evaluation of different methodologies)
- Dealing with common valuation issues
- Compare & contrast alternative valuation methods to know when to apply each
Discounted Cash flow
- Overview of DCF methodology
- The role of Cash Flow Forecasts
- Cost of Capital
Ratios and Key Performance Metrics
- Performing a Ratio Analysis
- Understanding Profitability Ratios
- Interpreting Liquidity and Solvency Ratios
Financial Modelling & Forecasting in Excel
- Overview & Objectives
- Defining the scope of your model
- Objectives: What are the aims of the model?
- Understanding model limitations
- Development and structuring
- Planning the financial model
- Ensuring the model structure matches the objectives
- Incorporating best practice techniques into your models
- Compare a selection of best practice guidelines/standards
Structuring the Cash Flow Model
- Setting Up the Work Book & structure
- Time scale
- Separate business areas
- Timing and frequency formats
- Data Sources
- Managing the Input Section
- Building the Calculation Section
- Building the C/Flow Forecast
- Line by line build-up of cash flows
- Cap Ex and Op Ex
- Presenting Model Outputs
- Key Financials
- Summary of model data
- Dashboards & Graphs
- Valuations & terminal values
Integrated 3-way Financial Models
- Balance sheet, Income statement, cash flow
- Dealing with interest circularity
- Using ratios to produce financial forecasts
- Debugging a 3-way model
Debt and Capital Structuring
- Typical Bank Covenants & Ratios
- The Importance of Capital Management
- Why it is important (cost of debt vs equity)
- Defining your optimal capital structure
- The Effect of Capital Structure
- Understanding its effects on risk
Sensitivities & Scenario Management
- Identifying key variables for sensitivity
- Building in sensitivities
- Displaying the results of sensitivity analysis
- How to run multiple sets of inputs through a single calculation engine
- Building, managing and extending a scenario manager that is far better than Excel’s
- Introduction to Monte Carlo simulation: how to apply these techniques in practical ways to real-life financial models
Best Practice Reporting, Review and Presentation
- Checking outputs for consistency
- Techniques for building checks & balances
- Model audit & review
- Automated spreadsheet auditing software tools: role, purpose & limitations, demonstration
- Use of financial modelling software: when is it useful or not useful?
Day 3: Your Financial Model
The last part of the course is a coaching session where we work individually with each person to help them apply what they’ve learned to the models they’re currently working with.
Although this session is optional, we encourage participants to take advantage of this if they can as it’s often when participants get the greatest value from the course because they’re gaining real-world experience by applying this to their own models.
It also reinforces the course by allowing them time to immediately practise what they’ve learned.
Who should attend?
- Business & Finance Analysts
- Finance Managers
- Investment Managers
- Investment Analysts
- Financial Modellers
- Project Managers
- Project Accountants
- Investment & Corporate Bankers
- Corporate Finance Managers
- Finance Professionals
Facilitator: Jeff Robson
Masters (Applied Finance), B.Com (Accounting & Information Systems), FAIM, F Fin, MAICD, CISA, MS Excel Expert
Jeff is the Principal and Founding Director of Access Analytic, a specialist consultancy that specialises in financial modelling, forecasting, valuation, model auditing, and management reporting for clients worldwide.
He is known as “The Financial Modelling Guru” because of his extensive experience in financial modelling, forecasting, valuation, model auditing, and management reporting for clients throughout the world.
His achievements have been recognised by his peers and he is a Fellow of both the Financial Services Institute of Australasia and the Australian Institute of Management.
He is skilled in the development and maintenance of analytical tools and financial models for middle-market to large corporate transactions and clients, at all levels of complexity, in both domestic and international settings.
He has worked with companies such as Chevron, BankWest, Petronas, Rio Tinto, Glencore, KPMG, Grant Thornton and Toyota.
Before working with Access Analytic, Jeff spent 6 years working in the Corporate and IT Consulting divisions of a large, multi-national Chartered Accounting firm.
Jeff is the author of a number of white papers on financial modelling on subjects such as Financial Modelling Best Practices and Financial Model Auditing.
Earlier in his career, he spent five years in banking and finance.
Recent Speaking Engagements
The following are a sample of Jeff’s recent speaking engagements:
- Hong Kong: 4 day Financial Modelling workshop for Banking & Finance professionals
- Hong Kong: 3 day Advanced Company Valuation workshop for Banking & Finance professional
- Kuala Lumpur: 2 day Advanced Budgeting & Forecasting Course
- Hanoi: 4 days of training in Advanced Budgeting & Forecasting for large Oil & Gas Company
- Johannesburg: 2 day Advanced Financial Modelling workshop
- Perth: 5 day workshop on Excel for Financial Modelling, and Financial Modelling Fundamentals for State Government Dept
- Kuala Lumpur: 2 day Advanced Financial Modelling workshop
- Perth: 5 day workshop on Petroleum Resource Rent Tax (PRRT) and Advanced Financial Modelling for Oil & Gas Companies
- Perth: 2 day VBA Fundamentals course for Mining Services Company
- Perth: “Business Performance Reporting on a Shoestring” joint presentation with Microsoft at the CPA Congress to over 150 attendees
- Singapore: 4 day workshop on Advanced Excel and Advanced Financial Modelling for multinational logistics company
- Tehran, Iran: 3 day Advanced Financial Modelling for Oil & Gas Companies
- Dubai: 3 day workshop on Advanced Financial Modelling and company valuation
Facilitator: Yury Tokarev
Yury is a Manager of Business Analysis & is an International Training Specialist at Access Analytic, an Australian consulting company that develops AMAZING Power BI and Excel solutions that enable organisations to grow faster, reduce costs and control risk. Yury has over 15 years’ experience in the development and maintenance of analytical tools and financial models for middle-market companies and large corporates, at all levels of complexity, in both domestic and international settings.
Recent Speaking Engagements
The following are a sample of Yury’s recent speaking engagements:
- Suva, Fiji: 4 day “Financial Modelling for Budgeting and Forecasting in Excel” workshop
- Port Moresby, PNG: 3-day workshop on “Financial Modelling & Power BI” for a major government agency
- Kuala Lumpur: 4 day “Financial Modelling and Company Valuation” workshop
- Kuala Lumpur: 4 day “Advanced Budgeting and Forecasting” workshop
- Dubai: 3 day “Advanced Budgeting and Forecasting” workshop
- Moscow: 5 day “Financial Modelling and Company Valuation” workshop
- Perth: 2-3 day “Power Query and Power Pivot for Excel” workshops
- Perth: 2-3 days “Power BI Essentials” workshops
- Perth: 1 day “Maximizing you Excel Productivity”, workshops
- Perth: 1 day “Advanced Excel” workshops
- Perth: 2 day “Dashboard design for reporting analysis” workshop
- Perth: “Refreshable dashboards with Excel’s Power Pivot. What, why how?” 2 masterclasses at the 2018 CPA Congress
- Perth: “Introduction to Power Query – Faster ways to manipulate data – spend your time analysing not collating” – 2 masterclasses at the 2018 CPA Congress
- Perth: “Advanced Excel functions that makes a CPA’s life easier” – 2 masterclasses at the 2017 CPA Congress
Feedback from Previous Participants
|Feedback||Initials & Position|
|“Very useful to develop modelling skills. Thanks!”||R.H., Graduate, NAB, Melbourne|
|“Excellent course content, very relevant to my work.”||R.M., Associate, NAB, Perth|
|“Very well-taught and extremely relevant to practical job application.”||C.M., Analyst, NAB, Sydney|
|“Very good course with very knowledgeable presenter. Excellent CD with good live examples.”||B.E., Analyst, NAB, Sydney|
|“Highly recommended and very useful for the banking and finance industry.”||J.K., Associate, NAB, Sydney|
|“Very worthwhile, informative course. Very relevant in terms of my day-to-day work.”||S.C., Trainee Analyst, NAB, Sydney|
|“There were a lot of practical examples that could be brought into my daily work. Good & clear explanations of difficult concepts…I’m impressed by the instructor’s professionalism & clear explanations of functions that I’ve never heard of that I could use.”||K.S., Financial Analyst, DHL, Singapore|
|The speaker has successfully made the course fun and meaningful. I made a lot of discoveries and can relate things much more effectively now … what I liked most about this course was the discovery of significant functions of Excel which was previously I had no interest in making use of!||A.A., DHL, Singapore|
|There are lots of exercises that help me understand more about formulas & modelling.||M.K., Chevron Energy Development, Thailand|
|The coverage of the syllabus & the material is a great fit. A very good introduction to Financial Modelling. The course my knowledge & met my expectations perfectly.||C.A., Corporate Finance, CLP Ltd, Hong Kong|
|Concrete examples. Small group. Good interaction with the speaker. Impressions after attending the course: Positive. Even more interested to discover more!||C.T., Natixis, Singapore|
|I like the workshop as Jeff willingly and unselfishly shared his knowledge and skills.||L.D., Borouge, Singapore|
|Lesson was well-presented. Hardly fell asleep during the course! Excellent presenter. [Access Analytic: we wonder what he normally does when he attends a course!]||A.B., DHL, Singapore|
|The pace of the course is good. Attendees are able to seek help during the training exercises. It’s a good start to gain confidence in building a model.||T.C., National Bank, China|
|You do not need advanced Excel to gain incredible value from this course.||A.S, Kufpec|
|The training exercises and resources ensured it was worthwhile & value for money!||M.K, Dept of Treasury|
|Very simply explained & conducted!||A.G., Executive Director, IL&FS Global Financial Services|
Benefits & Inclusions
|Practical: Highly experienced facilitators who actively and regularly consult to clients also.|
|Applicable: apply what you learn to your job to further your career.|
|Hands-on: the course is designed to provide maximum hands-on experience.|
|Passionate: Our facilitators love this subject!|
|Clear: we specialise in translating complex subjects into concepts that are easy to understand.|
|On-going help: you can always e-mail the facilitator.|
|Comprehensive course notes.|
|Networking: meet industry peers and hear how they approach this subject.|
|Certificate of completion.|
|… and much more!|
Clients who have 3-4 or more people interested in this course normally prefer to run this course on an in-house basis in their offices.
We can bring all the equipment for up to 8 people so all you need is a room!
- Flexibility: we can combine content from multiple courses to create a custom course just for you, add-on a workshop or some mentoring sessions then run everything at the times that suit you.
- Timing options: if you’re in Perth, we can split courses into half or single days and schedule these at times to suit you
- No hidden extras: our fixed fee includes all materials and equipment costs for up to 10 participants
- Cost effective: no extra fees for extra participants (maximum of 8 per session)
In-House Details & Pricing
- Structure: half-day or full-day sessions
- Location: all courses are available in-house, many are also available in open sessions
- Class size: strictly limited to 10 to allow maximum interaction with the facilitator
- Provided: projector, laptops, manual, CD
- In-house Fees: contact us today to discuss your requirements
In-house Course Fees
Call us on +61 8 6210 8500 to discuss your requirements or leave your details below and we’ll be in touch.
– We are happy to customise our courses to suit your requirements
– A 10% discount applies when booking 10+ full days of training in any 30 day period
– Many courses can also be split into half-days (please enquire)
– Fees for locations outside of Perth do not include equipment
|B6||Advanced Budgeting and Forecasting (3 days)
Learn how to build sophisticated budgets and forecasts that are robust, flexible and user-friendly
|B5||Financial Modelling for Oil & Gas (3-5 days)
This course covers oil and gas financial modelling and project evaluation concepts, combined with practical experience in designing solutions to real-world financial modelling challenges. Learn how to build sophisticated analytical models that are robust, flexible and user-friendly and then use these to analyse oil & gas projects for potential investment.
|C1||Excel VBA Training Course (1-3 days)
This VBA course is an introduction to VBA programming for automating accounting and finance functions.
|M5||Financial Modelling for Mining Companies (3-5 days)
Financial Modelling for mining projects including project evaluation and finance.
|P4||Real Estate Financial Modelling (3-5 days)
Financial modelling for property development projects.